Followers

Monday, November 29, 2010

Dali Elephants

One of my buddies is studying sculpture at MICA in Baltimore and before he decided on sculpture as his major he did a lot of work in drawing, painting, and graphic design. He did an imitation piece of the Dali Elephants by Salvador Dali which is actually a pretty cool interpretation of their particular shape. He drew the elephants with colossal legs, very thin and frail-almost as if they were wooden stilts. This elephant is actually a recurring symbol in most of Dali's pieces which were inspired by Gian Lorenzo Bernini's sculpture which portrays and elephant "with long, multi-jointed, almost invisible legs of desire along with obelisks on their backs". Surrealism with a sense of the improbable factor is what comes to mind when I look at these bizarre hallucinatory creatures. Describing his characters as "hand-painted dream photographs", Dali uses reoccurring images such as his elephants like burning giraffes and human figures with cabinet drawers opening outward from their bodies. Artwork like this allows aspiring artists to really create beyond reality,
"I am painting pictures which make me die for joy, I am creating with an absolute naturalness, without the slightest aesthetic concern, I am making things that inspire me with a profound emotion and I am trying to paint them honestly."—Salvador Dalí, in Dawn Ades, Dalí and Surrealism.



1 comment:

  1. Freaky! but neat in a weird way. I like the picture in color, makes it look less scary to look at.

    ReplyDelete