Followers

Monday, November 29, 2010

Makeup #1: Saya Woolfalk


As soon as I clicked the link for Saya Woolfalk's website, I was enthralled. The sudden sensation of color and obscurity in the illustration on the Home Page excited me. Before looking at her artwork I wanted to find a bit more about the artist because I feel that I can grow a better insight on the work before I even view it. In this disclaimer she stated, "My work considers the idea that symbolic and ideological systems can be activated and re-imagined through collaboration, imaginative play and masquerade. To effect this re-imagining objects, bodies, and landscapes are constructed to immerse us in the logic of another place”. I peered through her portraits and eventually stumbled upon pictures of her 3D and 4D work and immediately dove into her folder “No Place”. Woolfalk created this realm that reflected the future of human life in a place of possibilities and impossibilities. A series of colorful, whimsical, and intricate designs using gouache on paper and replicated installations portrayed landmarks in this hypothesized “utopia”. Woolfalk also worked with an anthropologist and filmmaker and created a 30-minute video titled “Ethnography of No Place” which I just had to see. Her work isn’t an eye sore what so ever- I actually feel like I would get mentally lost in her installations and almost did in the video below containing video excerpts from “Ethnography of No Place”. 


INSTILLATION: No Place (pre)Constructed: Portal, 2007 

PAINTING: Gouache on paper, 20" x 26"
Fertility Gate, 2006
 


No comments:

Post a Comment